Saturday, November 12, 2011

iSeries LAN Operations Console

For several years I have wanted to try using the Operations Console remotely. The problem is the companies I worked for already had Twinax connectivity and I could not justify the cost of adding the additional feature.

When ordering a new machine and you don't have any Twinax devices to support, it's actually cheaper to order Ops Console LAN feature. I am a little uneasy about not having a direct console connection onsite but if the network goes down there would be bigger problems than accessing iSeries.

Setup was easy following the instruction right out of the IBM manual. System i Network  also has a good article to read up on.  

It is just awesome to be able to control the entire system remotely. Even if I shut down the TCP servers I can still access the console to restart.


No comments:

Post a Comment