Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Character in CAST argument not valid.

Tough day today, I quickly introduced myself to SQL error codes. I have all the code written and  theoretically should work. Unfortunately the fetch procedure fails with the following error.

Message ID . . . . . . :   SQL0420    Severity . . . . . . . :   30       
Message type . . . . . :   Diagnostic                                        
Date sent  . . . . . . :   02/28/12   Time sent  . . . . . . :   14:37:30
                                                                             
Message . . . . :   Character in CAST argument not valid.                    
Cause . . . . . :   A character in the argument for the CAST function was not
  correct.                                                               
Recovery  . . . :   Change the result data type to one that recognizes the   
  characters in the CAST argument, or change the argument to contain a valid
  representation of a value for the result data type. Try the request again.

I learned that there is a slew of error codes that can be monitored for. Also received a great link from a previous post. I was aware of the error codes and the need to use them but never had to really figure it out before. Working with debug I was able to monitor SQLSTT variable and found several other issues that were easy to fix. I got a good look at how SQL error codes are generated.  

But now I am stuck, I can run the statement in SQL Explorer and interactive SQL green screen and get the desired results. I’ll post the code in the morning, I spent a couple of hours debugging. I am sure it will turn out to be something silly in the morning.

I going to read my Game of Thrones book for a while and get a fresh start in the morning.


~Richard

No comments:

Post a Comment