Monday, December 1, 2014

PowerRuby....installation

Over Thanksgiving weekend, while wife not watching, I downloaded PowerRuby to PC. Took a while for little over 200mb to download. Took even longer to upload to IBMi.

I discovered that IBM 5733SC1 - IBM Portable Utilities for i5/OS was not installed. Lucky for me complete OS image is stored in IFS, it's nice to have plenty of disk. 

I really like Virtual optical drive and image catalogs. Here is a good article explaining image catalogs and how to setup and use. Peace of cake -

WRKIMGCLG on command line....

Select option 12, Work with Entries....

Once DVD-ISO image is mounted select F12 and return back to work with Image Catalogs..


All you need to do now is option 8 Load.

Virtual Optical drive OPTVRT01 is now ready to use to restore licensed program.

THE IBM* PORTABLE UTILITIES FOR i5/OS* consists of a *BASE and Option 1. Both must be installed with CL commands similar to these:

RSTLICPGM LICPGM(5733SC1) DEV(OPTxx) OPTION(*BASE) RSTOBJ(*ALL) LNG(2924)

RSTLICPGM LICPGM(5733SC1) DEV(OPTxx) OPTION(1)RSTOBJ(*PGM)  

No issues, RSTLICPGM, like other steps took longer than expected. I think all told about 15 minutes.

I do need to go and get all the IBM PTF's to complete the install but that will have to wait till this coming weekend. I run full PTF update twice a year and am overdue for second update. Major rule I have is not to install PTF's on a month end weekend. Been there and got bite on ass to prove it.

Oh yeah, this is about PowerRuby.....

At this point I uploaded to IBMi following PowerRuby instuctions

No issues and went smoothly. I now have PowerRuby installed and ready for my first new rails app from scratch....

Unfortunately will have to wait. I have a bunch of side work including replacing daily tape backup with save to cloud (Carbonite) and possible V5R4 upgrade.


~Richard

When you catch bugs early, you also get fewer compound bugs. Compound bugs are two separate bugs that interact: you trip going downstairs, and when you reach for the handrail it comes off in your hand. ~Paul Graham, "The Other Road Ahead," 2001
 

No comments:

Post a Comment